Monday, April 25, 2022

Las Temporadas- Oil on Canvas

From the series Las Temporadas depicting 4 seasons - 12x 12 inches , each.  

El Invierno

Winter comes in different forms in different countries. It's a season that one prepares for, especially in places where it snows or the temperature gets really cold! Food storage, warm clothes, heating and firewood are all different elements leading to the expectation of this season. We get a respite from the heat but at the same time we face the iciness of life. Winter is a season with many layers! It is also the season with many festivals, all over the globe. Who hasn't wanted to be part of a white Christmas or be in Lapland at this time?
Raag Malkauns is said to be a winter Raag, a raag with minor notes rendering a serious and sombre mood. Lore has it that this raag was sung to cool down the simmering temper of Lord Shiva ( Indian God).


El Verano

A part of the series Las temporadas, this work depicts Summer. The season has its own sense of beauty. Bright greens and florals blooming against a blue sky , Summer brings many important things to us- vacations, holidays, travel and of course, in India, mangoes !


Primavera

I loved doing this. Getting back to my familiar flourish was a combination of delight and therapy. This artwork is a representation of all the undulations of the year gone by. The pandemic, still raging strong, changed lives for all of us. Being homebound and working away at our computers gave us a different way of life. As for me, my routine has changed. I used to yearn for my colours and painting time like a thirsty animal. So when I started being home at all times, I diverted my mind at times with many other things than art. Online courses, movies and music. But am back and how!

This has to be Spring, the Primavera!

El Ontoño from the series Las Temporadas.
Autumn is one of the most mysterious seasons. It embodies hope, giving away the old to welcome the new. It's one of the most beautiful seasons all over the world.The Raga associated with the Indian season aligning with Autumn (Sharad) is Bhairav, a sombre morning Raag, which has minor notes.
This painting gave me a lot of movement. I was on all fours whilst working on this and gave me some workout in these days of being shut inside!



No comments: