Thursday, September 12, 2013

Tabla - Dha dhin na

16 x 20 inches
Oil on canvas with palette knives

As usual, am not sure if I am done with this or not.But at least I know that I have found some kind of closure through this painting, both in terms of this artwork and in terms of some other life decisions. I have gone through some ups and downs in recent times, which set me apart from art, only to make me seek the canvas back as the sole means of consort to end my troubles and make peace! What better way than this, which is a mix of art and music, my two soulmates!!

Tabla is an Indian percussion instrument used in Hindustani Classical Music.The smaller drum, with a conical shape towards the top is called the dayan. It is actually played at the right side and the round drum, which is called the bayan is played on the left side.Both the drums are earthen or made of steel or brass and covered with goatskin.Tablas are used as accompaniment with vocals and other musical instruments.

Am including here a tabla recital by Bhushan Parchure, a disciple of Ustaad Zakeer Husain ji. I have been lucky to have witnessed several performances by Bhushan and find his performance powerful and mesmerising!Hope you view it to have a full flavour of my painting.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zw_EXkwlHsI


No comments: